Saturday, January 5, 2013

Live! From Babylon

I haven't been really good at maintaining this space. Truth being said, i even have a rough time to stay in touch with most of my friends: never finding the time and/or inspiration to let them know in some cool way that i care about them, i hope they fine, and that they're often in my mind. 2013 just started, and it brings the right time to reflect on quite a few things, i should make a small list of things i should accomplish now that I'm finally about to have enough personal time and peace (now that I'm getting old). Writing a lot more is going to be on that list. What can i write about? Writing to friends helps, i can also write to-do lists, maybe some recipes, ideas as they come, i guess starting small will be ok, and soon greater things will come.

It is a bit hard to get good inspiration here in Boston, at least through my monotonous working bee lens. If i want to find something worth writing about in this civilized soil, I'll have to look away from my cubicle and walks through the malls, I'll have to pay little or no attention to the millions of tv shows everyone else follows (even though some of them are sooooo gooooood). Sure i will make use of my Latin (not roman) point of view, but i don't want to overuse my most notorious trait... Too much spice numbs the tongue i guess.

My trip to Mexico was cool. I could have used a couple more weeks of slacking though. I missed my mates. I missed the beer and the laughs. I missed the ways of my people, where everything is chill and money is scarce, but no one really cares that much (unless you start a family cause then you have to be kind of responsible sometimes).

I started the year in new york. It was cool to walk through the crowds and just take it all in. It didn't look like a hurricane just hit it. The city was working at full speed. The first of January, everything but the museums was open. People of all colors, immigrants and visitors from everywhere all together, shopping, eating burgers, taking pictures. We took quite a few photos as well (and yes we had a burger too, it was good). I really like New York. Being there is like being at the center of the world. True that the US is not what it used to be, but it is still in Wall Street where economy is decided, it is Manhattan (maybe Brooklyn lately) where most of the art comes from. I guess that this late touch of decay only serves to make more evident that The City is the modern Babylon. I will be back to New York in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it for quite a few good reasons (they all have the same name). But for the time being, good old Boston will have to suffice.

Aye.

No comments:

Post a Comment